I have these two Life Plans that I wrote out [mostly jokingly] and just must share them with you. I encourage you to do the same sort of thing for yourself… if not for anything else but the laugh-factor. It’s great to see what four years can do to a list like this. Are you ready to see into the mind of a girl with a plan? I don’t think you are…
[please note that these were done mainly for self-entertainment purposes and i’m not quite that much of a freak… enjoy…]
Rachel’s Life Plan via 2004*:
finish sophomore year
stay in Georgetown for summer 05
intern somewhere in the Austin area
make enough money to buy a nice digital camera
go to Thailand [take great pics]
go to Jackson Hole, WY with the fam [take great pics]
live in a house next year with Britt, Lindsay and mayhaps Sheena
get a golden retriever puppy and name it Rilo
work at CAB my junior year and babysit at TBC still
spend Christmas at home and have a badass new years to make up for last years
 finish up my junior year, be a bridesmaid in at least two weddings
spend the summer interning or as a central staff position at Laity Lodge
graduate in December
live at home and work at a restaurant just to make some last minute money
go to New Zealand to work doing PR for some nonprofit organization
come back to the US in 2008 and start working at a magazine
be in at least three more weddings
meet the man of my dreams in 2010
get married in 2012
move for my husbands job in 2013 [and so Rilo can have a bigger yard]
convince my husband that it’s not too early to have children or just not take birth control… pregnant by 2015
have Carnegie [my first daughter] and move into a bigger house
im not really sure after this.
*all events are subject to tragedy.
Okay, I can’t go without shaking my head at my former self and expressing my embarrassment over the line “move for my husbands job…” First of all, did I not know of apostrophes yet? Damn Baptist school education. Secondly, well yeah… I’m just embarrassed. Never mind.
[fast forward to the end of 2008. here is the revised Life Plan i wrote right before leaving for australia… please note the more structured format… movin’ on up.]
Rachel’s Life Plan*:
January 6, 2009 – Move to Australia.
• January – make new friends, meet someone to teach me to surf.
• February – meet a hot Australian soul mate that wants to be my Valentine.
• March – climb in Arapiles.
• April – climb and surf.
• May – celebrate being 24.
• June – Lisa and company visit.
• July – run my first [of a few] marathon.
• August – keep livin’ it up in Sydney.
• September – my first get-away with my new Australian lover [we go to New Zealand for some climbing/being.]
• October – make sure that Aussies celebrate Halloween.
• November – come back to the States after a fabulous going-away party with all my friends from Oz… call it quits with hot Australian boy.
• December – holidays in Texas before my big move.
• move to Portland and find a decent enough job.
• start a garden.
• meet the man of my dreams.
• vacation in Jackson for a week and a half [in the summer] to love the life of old friends and to finally climb the Grand.
• start graduate school in the fall at the University of Oregon in Eugene.
• christmas in Texas… man of dreams tags along.
• still in school.
• move in with man of dreams… he’s relocated to Eugene.
• sell car and just get around by bike and bus.
• thanksgiving at man of dreams’ house.
• christmas in Texas.
2012 – 2013
• finish school.
• travel to Europe with man of dreams and bike around.
• get a kickass job at Portland Energy Conservation Inc.
• christmas in Jackson… the family vacations there.
• engaged and excited!
• spring wedding… casual and outside.
• dance party reception.
• honeymoon in Greece.
• still working at PECI.
• get a golden retriever and name it Sprankles, Smoot, Rilo or something I think of before then.
• open an art gallery/studio with my husband.
• loving life more than ever.
• Emerson visits Portland.
• vacation in South America to climb with friends and hubby.
• move into bigger house closer to downtown.
• it’s a girl.
• her name is Ellanore ______ _______.
2019 – 2023
• same ol’, same ol’.
• it’s a boy.
• no idea on the name.
2024 – 2041
• raise kids.
• love husband, family and friends.
• go to many art openings at our gallery.
• go in with all of my friends [some old, some new] and buy a home in Jackson to vacation to through our retired, lovely lives.
…..and then I’ll die at some point.
*all events are subject to tragedy and/or an unexpected love.
People say that life is what happens while you’re making plans.
I’m pretty sure life is what happens while you’re blogging.
[i probably won’t stop either.]